- A Lab in Sesame may represent a center, facility, research laboratory, or research project.
- Labs are groups of Sesame Users created and maintained by themselves to share data and resources. Labs may consist of one or many Members.
- Every Sesame User can create any number of Labs.
- The Sesame User who creates a Lab becomes the Lab Master of the Lab. The Lab Master maintains the Lab's Resources and Members.
- A Lab Master can invite other Sesame Users to become Members of the particular Lab and can remove any Member from the Lab. However, a Lab Master cannot force a Sesame User to become a Member of a Lab.
- Every Sesame User can be a Member of any number of Labs.
- No User can become a Member of a Lab unless invited.
- An Invited User can either accept the Invitation issued by a Lab Master and become a Member of a Lab, or can refuse it.
- Both sides can terminate the relationship at any time. A Lab Master can remove a Member from a Mastered Lab and any Member can leave a Lab.
- The Labs Resources and all the data created by Users as Members of a Lab are only visible and accessible to the Members of that particular Lab. Once a Member leaves the Lab, her data will stay in the Lab, and will be not accessible by her, even if the data were created and owned by her.
- The Labs Resources, and all the data created by Members are only visible and accessible to the Members of a Lab while the Lab is set as the Default Lab.
- The current Default Lab is shown in the Root Node of the Search Results Tree in the Main Application Window.
- Every Sesame User is automatically a Member of the 'World' Lab. Everything in the 'World' Lab is visible and accessible to every Sesame User.
- Lab Name is the name of the new Lab. Up to 16 characters.
This creates a new Lab mastered by the current Sesame User.
- Make the Main Application Window active.
- On the Options menu click New Lab.
- Fill out the popup's fields:
- Lab Name of the new Lab, e.g. "John Doe Lab", "Area 51", etc. Up to 16 characters.
- Click on the OK button to continue.
- Click on the OK button of the 'Are you sure?' popup to create the new Lab.
- An existing Lab can not be renamed or deleted except by a Sesame Administrator. Not an easy task, so don't count on it.
- The Lab names are unique in a Sesame instance.